Friday, July 8, 2011

Say what?

Cameron and I both come from Christian homes...the type of homes that want you to settle down with a nice man/woman, get married, buy a house, and one day be blessed with a child. If you would have told me when I was 17 that I would not start having babies until I was almost 30 I would have laughed in your face. Then if you would have told me that at 29, I would get pregnant with my BOYFRIEND that LIVES with me, I would have fallen to the floor. That is not something girls that sing in the church choir do! But life has it's way...or maybe I had my way with my life, I'm not sure exactly what happened but it's not like I thought it would be. But if I would have married right out of high school and stayed in Alaska, there would be no Vinaka memories, no Jefferson Banditos, no Sadie, no hiking the gorge, no midnight bike rides, no Cameron! No thanks! I love where life has taken me, even if my 17 year old self didn't see this coming.
But being a unwed mother has done come crazy things to my little mind. Even though I'm 29, I still think people look at me like a teen mom. They look at my growing belly, and ring less finger and think to themselves, "Poor girl, I bet she had so much potential." I think this is my thought, not there's, sneaking into my psyche. It's all very twisted in my head and I myself am still trying to straiten out the knots and snags of my logic. I know in my heart that my son will be giving me the chance to finally live to my full potently. Fulfill my true calling, to be a mother. But doubt has a nasty way of sneaking in there. Maybe in fact I was meant to be a truck driver, or designer, or go go dancer.....and maybe now I will never know! These are the stupid thoughts that bring my to tears in the shower. And then my dear son gives me a swift kick in the belly and this calmly reminds me that everything is going to be fine, and yes, being his mommy is my one and only purpose.

2 comments:

  1. How did we get so lucky to have such an insightful, talented, wonderful daughter!! You are amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing and your life has taken you to this beautiful place with a beautiful baby and two great loves in your life! Not to mention all the friends who love and adore you! I believe that your purpose in life is to share your wonderful heart with others and you have been spreading that love all over the wast coast. I feel lucky to know you and believe that no one else deserves happiness more than you! Just keep that heart of yours open and forget all those silly expectations!

    ReplyDelete